Sanford Meisner said that acting is the ability to live truthfully in an imaginary circumstance. I agree. I also believe that can be applied to life. I love theatre because it is so applicable to life. Even Shakespeare said "To hold as it were, a mirror up to nature." I'm an actor not for the glory of the spotlight, but for the story I tell on the stage. What we perform in front of the audience is a mirror of humanity today as we see it. Sometimes it's dirty, ugly and hard to swallow - but it's raw honesty. And when performed in full belief, it is a very beautiful thing. I know I'm in the most practical major and I know I'm not going to make a lot of money in my career; but that's not the point. I'm in it for the love of my art. Human beings fascinate me and when I'm playing on stage is when I get to explore every kind of human tendency. Being on stage is the most freeing feeling because it is the time to let all inhibitions go and live truthfully 110% in the given circumstance of the character. It's certainly not easy. It takes discipline to leave your baggage at the door. It takes guts to explore the deepest of humanities problem and feelings and then portray them as honestly as you can. But it's the most amazing feeling when you do. You see the world through your characters eyes; you get a different perspective on life and the value of it. Seeing that gives you a deeper and greater understanding and respect for all people and cultures. This is why I do what I do, and love it. Besides, who doesn't love this view?
Support the Arts!! Cheers :)

No comments:
Post a Comment